root·stock [ˈrōōtˌ stäk] noun
1. a rhizome.
• a plant onto which another variety is grafted.
• a primary form or source from which offshoots have arisen.
Thank you for your interest in Rootstock Publishing, a hybrid publishing partnership in which you maintain control of your work, retain your copyright, and earn the highest profit available in the industry (60% for print books, 70% for ebooks), while still receiving the expertise needed to edit, design, print, promote and distribute your book to every market possible. As a hybrid publisher, we work with you to grow your book, every step of the way. Please familiarize yourself with our hybrid model here before submitting.
We look forward to learning more about you and your work. Below are our submission guidelines and submission forms.
The genres we accept for submission:
- Contemporary & Literary Fiction (including short story collections)
- Children's Picture Books
- Economics and Politics
- Women's Fiction
- Young Adult
For the initial submission, we only accept the first 30 pages of a manuscript (except for the poetry series). Our preferred format is a Word document (.doc or .docx) or PDF. Please use an easy to read typeface (ie: Garamond), 12pt font size, and double space your document.
If you would like feedback for your submission, please select the Book Submission with Editor Assessment option.
- Full-length manuscript of 50–100 pages of poetry.
- Poetry can be defined as broadly as the author decides. Prose poems, hybrid form, songs, spoken word, and performance poetry pieces are all accepted, as well as traditional forms of poetry and poetry in abstract forms.
- Poems in the manuscript may have been previously published.
- Except for when needed to express creative elements within a poem, we expect the manuscript to be in a common font (Times; Times New Roman; Georgia), 12-point font size, with one poem on each page.
- Title page included.
- Page numbers included.
- Table of Contents included.
- Acknowledgments page included, if applicable.
- Submit through Submittable or postal mail with a check (Rootstock Poetry Series, 27 Main Street, Suite 6, Montpelier, VT 05602).
For the initial submission, we only accept the first 30 pages of a manuscript.
Our preferred format is a Word document (.doc or .docx). Please use an easy to read typeface (ie: Garamond), 12pt font size, and double space your document.
If you would like feedback on your manuscript, please choose the Book Submission with Editor Assessment option.
Submit your 30-page manuscript to be assessed by a professional editor chosen from among our Creative Partners Team.
- Send the first 30 pages of your manuscript as a Word doc.
- Common typeface (ie: Garamond), 12pt font, double spaced.
- Include the title page and table of contents, if available.